Tuesday, September 24, 2024

September 24

It's date night, and Adam and I went to one of our usual spots downtown for dinner. After we'd been seated, our usual server approached with a Diet Coke and a glass of prosecco, and with a smile, put them down in front of me because I always order the same thing. The gesture was a simple one, but it warmed me to my core.

Whether or not we acknowledge it, as humans, we long to be known and understood by others. We want our friends and families to know our preferences and fears and hopes and dreams, and we draw a measure of comfort and security from knowing that others value us enough to remember those details.

So for the simple but invaluable gift of a server knowing my preferred beverages on a random Tuesday night out, I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment