Monday, September 23, 2024

September 23

I deliberately slept upright in a recliner in the family room overnight because I was congested, so I didn't feel particularly rested this morning. As I looked myself over in the bathroom mirror, I decided I wanted to skip Bible study in favor of coming home for a nap. 

But the choice didn't sit quite right with me, so I drew in a breath, and said --aloud-- "Holy Spirit, guide me." And I paused before amending the request with "and make me want to do what You want me to do."

And then suddenly --and I kid you not-- I felt a shift in my heart and knew that I should go to Bible study. And I didn't just know that I should go; I actually wanted to go. And all it took was that one simple, sincere request for guidance. And as if that wasn't enough, when I arrived (late, of course, because I'm perpetually late to Bible study) the ladies were talking about... the Holy Spirit. I was wowed.

I think that as Christians, we often don't realize the ever-present resource that we have in the Holy Spirit. The answers we get may not always be as obvious or immediate as the one I got this morning, but the availability of guidance and direction is always there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment