Friday, October 4, 2024

October 4

This is my Starbucks friend, Rob. (There are actually three Robs and a Bob, but I digress because this entry is about this one particular Rob.)

This Rob lost his wife not long ago, and the two of us have had a handful of very honest conversations about the role that faith can play in a grief journey. He's told me that he walked away from the church after encountering hypocrisy, and I've told him to remember that the church is completely comprised of imperfect people who can and will screw up and hurt others. And I've reminded him that regardless of how he feels about The Church, God is always with him.

Anyway, he came in today after the other Usuals had already departed and plunked down in the chair next to me. With a measure of excitement in his voice that I hadn't heard before, he shared a pair of recent unusual experiences that left him with the distinct feeling that "someone" was trying to get his attention. He said he wasn't intending to share the stories with everyone he knew, but wanted to tell me because he knew I'd get it. 

I smiled, showed him the goosebumps that had appeared on my arms while he was sharing, and said that I would say that it was God who was trying to reach him. Although he wasn't entirely sold on that idea, he was open to it. And he added that he felt a new conviction to move forward and find joy in his life, so he booked himself a cruise later this year.

I know it's been a tough year for him, so it was a big blessing to see him find a measure of peace and happiness. And maybe even a seed of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment