Saturday, June 8, 2024

June 7

Our last full day on Kauai was a relaxed one, with no real planned outings and lots of time to just be.

I started off as I have each day with coffee and that delicious granola at the Clubhouse, again accompanied by the brositos, and, a little later on, Adam. They played pool and ping pong before Brady got bored and wanted to go back to the house, so he and Adam left while Isaac and I stayed behind to play on the pair of pinball machines located in the game room. (They were new additions since our last time here, and highly addictive, they are. I lost track of the number of times we both looked at each other, glassy-eyed with determination, and breathed "okay, one more game" before turning back to our respective machines. We were crazed.) 

But we eventually peeled ourselves off the pinball machines and made our way back to the house. I parked myself in a chair on the lanai with a can of Coke Zero. I sat there for some time, just looking out at the ocean in the distance and the ever-changing sky as sounds from a rousing round of Fast Food Franchise played out just behind me inside the house. (Isaac and Grandma had quite the battle going on.) 

When the lunch hour arrived, we loaded into the car and drove over to Bubba's to fulfill Abby's wish for a genuine Bubba Burger. (Because Abby really likes burgers.) And then it was back to the house, where I returned to the lanai and nodded off. I awoke just in time to join Abby and Adam's mom for our lei making class at the Clubhouse. Strangely enough, although my mother-in-law explained that there were several different teachers, we wound up with the same one we had when we took the class five years ago. I have to admit that although I'd forgotten the exact procedures for lei-making, I did find it easier to catch on this go-round. In some ways, it's actually quite similar to crochet and those similarities helped me out.

Anyway, we modeled our creations when we got back to the house and then Adam and his dad were gracious enough to try them on for us so we could snap a few pics for funsies. I told them they looked pretty.

Dinner was a smorgasboard of leftovers from the week. Some of us had a reasonable mix of the offerings, like nachos with cowboy caviar and soft tacos with ribs. Brady had bread and cheese. (Not grilled cheese, not a quesadilla. Just slices of bread and a pile of grated cheese. That's my kid.)

After dinner we took our last shave ice run of the week, and closed it out where we began last Saturday at Uncle's in the Kukuiula shopping center. The in-laws opted to pass, so Adam and the kids and I drove over and enjoyed our selections (which for me this go-round was cherry, grape, and strawberry. The ice was so fine and the portion so huge that it kinda-sorta cemented its placement as my favorite of the trip. Maybe. It's hard to choose a fave when it comes to shave ice in Hawaii. Brady and Isaac continued their trend of highly questionable flavor combos by choosing root beer, banana, and gummy bear for the former, and root beer, banana, and green apple for the latter. There are no words to adequately express my feelings about this). We had a good time sitting outside on the benches joking with one another while the kids spoke to each other using teen slang that Adam and I don't understand. (Skibiddi what?) It totally reminded me that we're old but it made my heart so happy to see them getting along so well. Sometimes they just gel and it's beautiful.

Anyway, it was dark when we got back, save the tiniest sliver of a moon and a sea of stars overhead. Adam's mom was standing by the gate waiting for us and ushered us to the street and encouraged us to look up. There were an incredible number of stars visible, so I stood there and took in the view. It's awe-inspiring to see so many tiny points of life and to realize just how tiny we truly are.

We concluded the day with a few rounds of Seven Up (a card game, not Heads Up Seven Up, although I admit that would be hilarious) and then headed off to bed. 

I'm an adventurer when it comes to vacation, but I'm grateful for the moments of rest that were built into today. And for those lazy moments spent with the most important people in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment