Wednesday, September 23, 2026

September 23

Given that it's not unusual for me to frantically look for my phone while I'm holding it in my hand, it surprises me that all these years later, Heath Bar on Forbidden Chocolate ice cream still makes me think of my high school bestie and the scent of smoke and the crackle pop of fallen leaves takes me back to crisp Autumn evenings in Maryland. It's a blessing that we were created to associate sounds and smells and tastes with meaningful people and experiences.

So I was delighted when, as Brady and I were sitting in the car at a red light this evening, a red Corvette in full Lightning McQueen livery cruised through the intersection. He excitedly pointed it out, and I looked just in time to get a gander. 

And I think we both loved it. And even though Brady doesn't directly remember his biggest brother, I think we both thought of Logan, who held deep affection for both Corvettes and McQueen.

Not all memories are sweet, of course, but I'm grateful that God wired us to be able to look back and smile when they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment