The house was still and quiet when I got back from my coffee outing this morning. A few minutes later, Isaac padded down the stairs and joined me in the kitchen. He confirmed that he'd already eaten and aimlessly circled the island a few times, so I asked if he wanted to play Go Fish.
And since he's a do'er, he said yes. (I was pretty sure he would when I asked.) So I retrieved a deck of cards from the nearby desk and we played several rounds of Go Fish at the kitchen table.It wasn't anything groundbreaking, but it gave us the chance to connect. As we played, I asked him questions: which of his friends are going to leave for school first? (Probably him, he said.) What is he looking forward to about going to college? (Learning, he said. Learning things he's interested in learning about and not what the school says he should learn; that's what I knew he meant. And also seeing snow, he said.)
We sat and shuffled and Go Fished until he said he needed to take a shower and get ready to head to work.
It was just a few hands of cards, but I'm grateful to God for the time spent with my soon to be college guy.

No comments:
Post a Comment