While he was trying to figure out what he wanted to eat this afternoon, he pulled a box of Bisquick out of the pantry with an eye toward preparing pancakes. (With chocolate chips, since we have a big bag on the shelf.)
But a recipe for cheeseburger pie printed on the back of the box caught his eye, and he decided he wanted to make that instead. Since it was a multi-step process, I suggested he wait a few hours and make it for dinner, with an assist from me. He agreed, so off to the store we went for ground beef and an onion, the two things we didn't already have on-hand.
When the clock struck 5:45, we got to work. We walked through the steps of the recipe together, and he did most of the actual prep and clean-up, from dicing the onion (with sunglasses in place) to washing the dishes. I was mainly the supervisor who cracked the eggs and carefully slid the very full pie plate into the oven. And told him how "brown" was "brown enough" for the cooked beef and which knife he should use to cut the onion. (And many other little details that I've had filed away in my brain for years that he didn't yet know.) And the final product? I thought it was pretty tasty, so it was a win.
It's such a gift to be able to spend quality time with my kiddos that doubles as education. Of course, I try to "teach" them every day with how I react to them and to others and to situations, but to be able to share knowledge I've acquired over my own lifetime that will expand their own bodies of practical knowledge feels special. So tonight I am grateful to God for the time with Brady and for his willingness to listen and learn.

No comments:
Post a Comment