After breakfast (which was a very filling quesadilla for me), we went to the Observation car, where the guys tried to teach me the new card game Isaac found yesterday via an AI search. My muddled morning brain couldn't wrap itself around the concept, but hey, at least I tried, right?
We crossed into Iowa and spent much of the day looking out at near-endless acres of corn growing on gently rolling hills. Honestly, I hadn't previously realized that Iowa was anything but flat, so it was a pleasant surprise to see all of that lush greenery rippling along the surface of the land. We had the chance to touch the ground during a brief stop in Ottumwa, where I noticed that an Amish family we'd been riding with disembarked. (Which prompted me to Google "Amish settlements in Iowa". I learned that yes, there are several. I had no idea.)
After lunch --our last meal on the Zephyr-- the four of us mostly settled into our room for the duration of the ride. Our last fresh air break was in Galesburg, Illinois, which we quickly discovered is way out there in the middle of nowhere. (So it's a good thing I noticed that our original reservation had mistakenly sent us there instead of on to Chicago and we were able to correct the goof. Finding a rental car in Galesburg would've been... challenging.)
Anyway, after we arrived and disembarked at Chicago's Union Station, we went inside. While Adam went to get the rental car from Hertz a few blocks away, Isaac, Brady, and I retrieved our checked bags and made our way to the heart of the building. And I was stunned by its beauty. Seriously, with its high ceilings, plentiful natural light, and intricate architectural details, I could've sat there and admired it for hours. (And I totally agreed with Isaac when he said it reminded him of the buildings in DC.)
And then it was on to Wheaton, where Abby was waiting for us in our hotel lobby. Isaac selected Culver's for dinner, and I ate too many cheese curds and other Culver-y yummies. And now we're back in our hotel rooms. Adam is sleeping, Isaac is next door watching something on his phone, and Abby and Brady are down in the fitness room-slash-pool.
And me? I'm writing and reflecting. School starts Thursday for Brady, so he and I will fly back home in about 36 hours. Although it was a three-day train ride, it feels like it was a whirlwind experience. And I know that the next day will fly by at warp speed. But I'm thankful for the time with my guys and for the new memories we've made. And I'm thankful for tomorrow, too, even before it begins, because each day is a blessing from God.

No comments:
Post a Comment