Sunday, August 9, 2026

August 8

As I write, I'm sitting on the bottom bunk in a sleeper car room aboard the California Zephyr. We're about halfway across Nevada and although it's only 9 PM Pacific time, the dark sky and the intermittent, not-so-distant wail of the train whistle makes it feel considerably later. We're on our way to Chicago. The first chapter of Isaac's college experience is being written as I type.

We arose early and Adam secured Mickey D's breakfast for us (per Isaac's request) as my sweet boy finished packing. Then we loaded into the Explorer bound for the Martinez Amtrak station, where Adam's parents met us so they could return the car to our driveway. (Big thanks to them for the assist.)

We boarded the train and the adventure formally began. There were some snafus, the most significant being that our pre-booked adjoining rooms wound up being in different sleeper cars, but the boys seemed okay with being on their own (especially when they realized they'd wound up with a bigger room). 

Throughout the day, we enjoyed lunch and dinner in the dining car. The patty melt and the Angus burger both proved to be winning afternoon picks, while all four of us appreciated the very rich chocolate spoon cake presented for dessert after dinner. We also visited the observation car on multiple occasions (since not surprisingly, there didn't seem to be a lot of folks interested in taking a long look at much of Nevada's scenery and the tables were a great place to play cards). We got off during the "smoke break stop" at Reno and walked up and down the platform. (It was hot. Very hot.) We messaged with Abby who is already in Wheaton hanging out with some of her besties for a few days. I crocheted and chatted with Adam and he even looked up the deets on the prison we spotted in nowheresville. And we watched the scenery go by and realized just how big and majestic this country really is. 

It was, I think, a good day. The photos don't really do the experience justice; I took a lot and Adam took a lot but the internet connection isn't great so it's really just a loosely representative collage that I threw together using Google. 

I'm not entirely sure that I'm going to be able to sleep much, but I'm grateful for the bed (even if it uses up every square inch of floor space) and I'm grateful that Adam took the upper bunk and that there's a harness up there to keep him from falling out, because once I got over the shock of it I'd probably laugh and that would be uncool. And I'm grateful that we're able to be present for Isaac as this next phase of his life begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment