Thursday, August 13, 2026

August 13

Brady started the 10th grade today. No more single digit grades at our house!

It was also the first time I've had only one kid in a first day of school door photo in a really, really long time. It was surreal because it served as tangible evidence of how much our little family has grown up.

Anyway, my sophomore was up bright and early. He made himself breakfast --one of his potato dishes, which he pre-prepped yesterday afternoon-- and then we were off. He'd arranged to walk to school with a friend who lives close to campus, so he drove me to said-friend's house. It was my first time riding with him, and for a very new driver, he did well. He narrated his every move aloud (as he often does) and that made me smile, mostly because it showed how focused he was on getting the details down pat. 

As it turns out, he doesn't have many friends in his classes, which I know is disappointing, but I know he'll figure it out. So I'm grateful that he had a decent day. And I'm grateful for the blessing of new beginnings and new adventures.

Speaking of new adventures, Isaac moved into his dorm today. I wish I could've been there, but there's only one of me and I know Adam did a great job of helping him get his things unpacked and set up. He finally met his roommate, Thomas, and his RA (who is also an Isaac; if you throw a rock into a group of guys at Wheaton, you'll hit an Isaac) and (I imagine) other folks. I haven't heard a lot about his experience just yet, but that's okay. He reported that the day was good, so I'm thankful for that. 

The times they are a'changin' for the residents and sometimes-residents of the Wight House. Although I'm not a huge lover of transitions, I'm grateful to know that God guides all of our steps, even when our paths separate for a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment