Monday, August 3, 2026

August 3

The menfolk and I had a good full day in the Sierras.

It started off with our customary Cabin-breakfast, as Adam whipped up pancakes (made extra fluffy courtesy of the elevation), scrambled eggs, and bacon, and glasses of apple cider. (I had my coffee courtesy of the resident Nespresso machine.)

After we'd all gotten dressed, we drove down to the rec center, where we played 18 "holes" of frisbee golf, which has become one of Isaac's very favorite sports. He learned it at Young Life camp and loves it, so he was eager to introduce it to us. Isaac, naturally, came out on top, but all of the guys fared well. I, conversely, finished with the highest score, but given that I've yet to meet a sport that I'm good at, I'll be pleased with that "accomplishment" and take my participation ribbon.

It was lunchtime by the time we departed the rec center, so we headed to Arnold. Our intended destination was closed, so we made a game-time decision to try out a small strip mall cafe called the Heart and Soul Country Kitchen. Although we went in not knowing what to expect, we wound up with enormous portions (seriously, my crabcake po boy special was as big as my head and included a mound of crispy garlic truffle fries). The servers were friendly and the food was good, so I'd call it a win.

We returned to the cabin and rested for a little while before the boys pulled out Fast Food Franchise and played a round. (Adam dominated big-time.) Dinner was a mix of leftovers (for me) and snack food and potato creations (because of course Brady brought along his big bag of Russets!), followed by a few hands of cards and big slices of apple pie. Even Brady, who is a self-proclaimed hater of all pie, gobbled his up, insisting "it's just apples." I excused myself from the gaming and the guys took a walk, and then returned to play Stratego while I crocheted. 

Phew. There were many blessings sprinkled throughout the past 12 hours, and I am grateful to God for all of them. I am thankful that I got to experience one of Isaac's favorite things in frisbee golf (or frolf, as he calls it). I am thankful that I got to listen to the guys laugh as they played games. And I'm thankful that I got to watch Brady and Isaac standing at the kitchen counter side by side working on their food. We only have a few more days left until Isaac heads off to school, so I'm trying to soak up the sweet moments as best I can because togetherness is a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment