I've learned a few things over the past few days. One, it's utterly exhausting to ride a train cross-country. I'm accustomed to getting my steps in each day so the limited opportunities to move around are a challenge. But two, it's really fun to ride a train cross-country. So the second thought is the one I'll carry forward.
Last night as I was lying in bed typing and fruitlessly trying to post to this blog, we were approaching the thriving metropolis of Elko, Nevada. It was pitch black out so I couldn't see much, and eventually, I fell asleep. And courtesy of a pair of smooshy earplugs I bought a few months back, I slept pretty darn well. I found that the bumps were minimal and the rolling sensation wasn't nearly as disruptive as I'd worried it would be. So that was a plus.
When I woke up, we were somewhere in eastern Utah. (My understanding is that we didn't miss all that much while we were conked out.) Brady was already up so we roused Isaac from his slumber at 7 and headed to the dining car for breakfast. Fortunately, it seemed like lots of folks weren't interested in eating, so we received our identical plates of Amtrak Signature French toast in record time. As we ate, we rode through some rather lovely topography in the aptly named Ruby Canyon, so we were able to leave Utah feeling like the entire state wasn't just incredibly dull. (Sorry to the Utah peeps!)
We enjoyed a few fresh air stops throughout the rest of the day, including one in Green River, Utah, and then several in Colorado as we rode alongside the Colorado River, including Grand Junction, Glenwood Springs, Granby, Fraser-Winter Park, and most recently, Denver. After lunch as the first few stops, Adam and Isaac took naps and Brady hung out in the boys' room while I went to the observation car solo. Although it was hot as blazes in there (an a/c issue unfortunately), I got some pretty spectacular views of the Colorado River and the towering valley above between Glenwood Springs and Gypsum. It was rather overcast, but the natural beauty was just mesmerizing.
For the remainder of the day, we spent time playing cards in the observation car and hung out in our room (which was admittedly a tight fit but it was still fun) watching the scenery and just enjoying one another's company. Adam helped out by sharing Googled information about some of our stops, including the utterly bizarre Granby Bulldozer Rampage of 2004. We braved the 6.2 mile Moffat Tunnel and took some silly pictures in the dark using a function on my game phone that I didn't previously know about. And I finished working on a shawl I'd been making and entertained the notion of giving it to Isaac to keep whenever he needs a hug from his mama at school. I had him throw it around his shoulders and he wore it until we got up to go to dinner; I wanted to tell him to keep it and why I wanted him to keep it, but my eyes welled up with tears every time I thought about it. I'll try again before I fly home.
We finished the day with dinner and then an extended fresh air break in Denver. We had no idea that the Rockies' stadium was literally right next to the train station, so it was pretty cool to get to see it in person (even if the Rockies are really, really bad).
I probably left out a lot of details I could've included, but the main points are that we had another good day hanging out together, and I'm grateful for the time I've had doing something new with my boys. So for that, I am very grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment