Saturday, August 29, 2026

August 29

When Abby was in college, she was consistently in contact with us. She texted multiple times a day and we generally knew the names of her friends and what was going on in her life, even though she was 2,000 miles away.

Isaac's approach to communication is very different. He typically responds to texts with one or two-word answers and never gives specifics. I'm okay with it, really; he's 18 and off on his own adventure, and it's his choice to share or not share as he pleases.

However, it's still really good for my heart to get a wee bit more information about his experience, so I was happy to be able to video call with him this afternoon.

He shared a little about his classes and his burgeoning friendships and how much he likes the breakfast food served in the dining hall. (It's apparently the best meal of the day, with the pancakes and waffles and fruit. And whole milk. He's discovered that he really likes the creaminess of whole milk. Go figure!)

So today, I am grateful for video calls and for the way they help to keep us connected to those who aren't nearby. And I am thankful to God that my sweet kiddo seems to be enjoying his first few weeks of college life.

No comments:

Post a Comment