I sat mostly quietly and listened to what transpired in the backseat. I listened as the typically bravado-driven BearBear escaped from Brady's bag and asked Isaac for a hug. I listened as they laughed together and carried on their usual brand of crazy conversation that, as a Gen Xer, I only kinda-sorta understood. But confusion aside, I am grateful that I was able to bear witness to those precious interactions.
When we got to the terminal and pulled into the departures area, everyone got out of the car to hug us "see ya later." I was particularly touched when Abby, who seemed to be fighting back emotion, asked for a quick group hug. So we all came together, embraced for a few moments, and said our I love yous. And then Brady and I were off. It was the perfect way to part ways and I'm glad my girl felt compelled to ask for it.
And now, well, now I'm just plain tired. It's that combo platter of getting up early and travel and emotion that makes it unusually difficult to be eloquent. But I'm home, and I'm deeply grateful to God for the time I had with my guys on the train trip and then with all of us in Illinois. I already miss Isaac, but I know that he's walking with the Lord and I know that He will direct my sweet guy's steps. And for those truths, I am eternally thankful.

No comments:
Post a Comment