Tuesday, November 3, 2015

November 3

Eleven years ago today, God blessed me with the safe and healthy birth of my first baby. That baby went on to become a big sister three times over, but remained my one and only daughter.

We definitely have our "warring factions" moments, but as she's gotten older, Abby has become one of my best friends. She's smart, incredibly honest, thoughtful, and kind.

And she's a survivor unlike any kid I've ever known. She lost her best friend in this world --her favorite playmate and confidante-- yet still she soldiered onward. I'm routinely awed by her strength and by how she's able to let go of those little niggling issues that would drive me absolutely crazy. And I'm amazed at how she didn't let heartbreak extinguish her happiness; even fully mature adults struggle with that.

So happy birthday, Abby. And thank you, God, for giving me the gift of being her mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment