Thursday, December 22, 2016

December 22

You know how once or twice in a blue moon, you meet a new person and feel an almost immediate sense of camaraderie? That's how it was for me when I met Kathy earlier this year. Our launching point was a shared baseball team (Isaac and her son played together in the spring), and from there, we learned that our kids had attended the same preschool. In fact, as it happened, I'd heard of her and she'd heard of me, but neither of us connected the dots particularly expeditiously. I've come to know her as a really lovely person, and I know I can be real with her without fear of judgment.

Anyhow, we had coffee earlier this week as we occasionally do. After she left, I wished I'd had the chance to expand on an observation I'd made. I considered texting her the rest of my thoughts, but couldn't find a way to make it make sense in writing. So I let the subject lie, but not without an ounce of regret resting atop my heart.

Fast forward to this morning. After Brady's (adorable) kindergarten sing-a-long at school, I headed over to Starbucks and plunked down at a vacant table with my cuppa joe. When I looked up from my phone after a few minutes, I was genuinely surprised to see her standing in line. So already long story short, I called her over and finished the thought I'd so wanted to finish.

I absolutely love it when God provides these little "chance" encounters just when we need (or sometimes, merely want) them. And I am so very thankful for Kathy and for all of the friends who have stuck with me in spite of my circumstances and, in some cases and at some times, in spite of me being me.

No comments:

Post a Comment