Thursday, March 14, 2019

March 14

I'm rarely at a loss for words, but I'm pretty close with this one. Adam found out yesterday that his granddad is dying and this morning, after kid dropoffs, we took the 30-minute drive to the hospital in Walnut Creek to say good-bye.

I've been in the picture for over 20 years now, but it was a little uncomfortable for me sitting there in that room, listening as Adam said his last few words to a man who's been so important to him over the years and watching as his dad and aunt teared up across the room. But I'm glad I went. I'm glad I got to witness the free exchange of affection between all of them and I'm glad that I got to see these three great men --because though you may not notice right away, Adam's dad wound up in the frame, too-- together in the same space one more time.

Given how uncertain and inconsistent this life can often be, I'm thankful for the stability and care that he provided to Adam and the rest of his family over the years. They're truly blessings that can't possibly be measured. (Oh, and my last words to him? Tell Logan hi for us. He said he definitely would.)

No comments:

Post a Comment