Saturday, May 4, 2013

May 4

Certain scents can elicit powerful memories. At least, that's a truth for me. Though I suspect it's a universal one.

While Abby and I were walking this evening after dinner, we passed by several pockets of these:

They smell absolutely amazing -- soft and sweet and delicate and floral. Even better, they don't make my nose itch like so many flowers often do.

But the best thing about these flowers are the memories they hold for me. When I was in college, bunches of these grew near the library on campus. I remember how I'd slow my pace and slowly inhale that delicate scent, and then hold my breath to relish the bouquet for as long as possible.

Now, all these years later, they're not only appealing for their scent, but also for their connection to my late teens and early 20s, when life was so much less complicated.

And that olfactory connection is a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment