Sunday, August 28, 2016

August 28

I was surprised --really surprised-- when we drove up to Logan's grave this afternoon and found that one of the marigolds we planted last week was not only still there, but still looked healthy.

We haven't had much luck with plants at the cemetery this year. Just about every time we've planted something new, it's either been uprooted and eaten by animals, trampled by someone or something, or scorched by the sun. Given that I'd forgotten to stop by to water the poor things after we planted them last Sunday, I fully expected them to be gone. But they weren't, which in and of itself, is something of a miracle.

But it was also the answer to a prayer that I very quietly and very half-heartedly uttered during the church service. I never like admitting it when I feel distant from God, but I do. And I have for a while now. So during that service, I asked God to meet me somewhere. Anywhere. And then Logan's grave and those little flowers came to mind, and I half-heartedly --and with zero expectation-- asked Him to show up by keeping those blooms alive despite my inattention last week. (I know the timeline is kind of screwy, but that's how my mind works sometimes, and besides, God operates outside of time anyway.) So yeah, imagine my surprise when we pulled up and I saw those fresh little orange-y yellow faces looking up at me. Winking at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment