Monday, August 1, 2016

August 1

We got up early today, drove to the airport, and flew to Kaua'i. We've waited all summer for this trip, so it was exciting to finally take to the skies. With the exception of a few little boy-on-boy squabbles shortly after take-off, the flight was a smooth one, and our check-in time at the house was late enough in the day that we had time to do some grocery shopping --and have our first shave ice of the trip in Koloa-- after we picked up the car in Lihue.

I keep trying to come up with a good aha moment for the day, but I think the reality is that the entire day was a big aha moment. We --including Lambie, of course-- spent time together at the airport; the kiddos even played nicely with their Webkinz. (I had no idea they still even made those things until Abby and I saw them a few days ago and she begged to pick out one for each of them.) Then we enjoyed a peaceful flight, together. Then we got the rental car, together. (Well, kind of together on that one. Isaac accidentally left his lion Webkinz at the gate so he and I retraced our steps and were relieved to find that someone had already turned said animal friend in at the security desk. So, crisis averted, together.) Then we shopped at Costco and Safeway, together, and checked into the house together before eating our pizza dinner... together. And watched the sun sink below the horizon (you guessed it) together. Then we sat around the (unlit) fire pit, together, watching the stars and planets as their pinpricks of light punctuated the dimming sky one by one.

We had moments together. Lots of them. And we made lots of new, funny memories, too. Good stuff, I'd say.

(And as an aside, I included the post-sunset photo for a specific reason. I stared at it for a long while before I realized why it captivated my attention, and then I saw it: an angel with wide-open arms. Kind of beautiful, I think.)

No comments:

Post a Comment