Tuesday, January 17, 2023

January 17

A friend lost her beloved canine companion a few days before Christmas, so I figured out how to crochet paw prints, fished through my stash for yarn that felt right, and got to work.

Tonight, I finally gave her the final product.

The thing is, it's far from perfect. I somehow managed to screw up the stitch count so instead of being a square, it's more of an isosceles trapezoid.

As a perfectionist, it's hard to give away something that's not perfect. So once I realized my goof, I had to stop myself from just tossing it in my pile of unfinished projects. I made myself finish it and I made myself swallow my needs-to-be-perfect pride as I handed it over (while apologizing for its imperfect state).

She teared up when she saw those paw prints. And suddenly, the imperfections seemed less imperfect and more unique. Gifts don't have to be flawless in order to be good for the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment