Saturday, January 28, 2023

January 28

My friend Jake from high school (no, not Jake from State Farm) sent me this picture today.

That's me on the left, and my friend Julie on the right. We were 18-year old high school seniors at the time, and I'm pretty sure it was taken the day after Prom (although neither of us could remember for sure. And we have no clue where we were).

And oddly enough, even though I actually started at Claremont McKenna a few months after this was taken, I'm wearing a Wheaton College t-shirt.

You know, the school my now 18-year old daughter attends.

Seeing this image had an interesting effect on me. On a purely surface level, I mused that I actually looked nice. Maybe even a little pretty (though I only say that because Abby said so when I texted it her way). I always thought I was rather unremarkable-looking when I was younger so it was an unusual thought. But on a deeper level, it reminded me of how God often flashes a "wait" card when we pray.

See, I went to CMC, but I wanted to go to Wheaton. I thought it seemed like a wonderful, loving place to grow and learn. And I wanted to be connected to that community. I prayed for that connection.

Although it wasn't the plan for my college years, that sense of wanting to be there remained, so I always felt like maybe it might be the right fit for one of my children. And I prayed over that potential eventuality. 

And then I saw this image and realized that my prayer had been answered: 18-year old me was about 26 years too early, but she's wearing spirit wear for her someday daughter's school.

So if you're waiting on God, keep it up. It may take longer than you'd like, but He'll answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment