Friday, November 3, 2023

November 2

Following a longer-than-planned day of travel, we're finally settled into our hotel room near Wheaton. And tomorrow (which is actually today, but that's splitting hairs) we'll see Abby! And celebrate her 19th birthday (which very conveniently lined up with Family Weekend this year).

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Today's delays actually weren't with the actual travel. Our first flight to LAX was on time (and marvelously empty). Our connector to Chicago was 30ish minutes late taking off, but I sat next to a very nice woman and we chatted a little. When we arrived at Midway we got our bags quickly (take notice, Oakland Airport) and hopped on the rental car shuttle in near-record time.

But that's when the trouble started. Although it was nearly 11 PM, the shuttle was stuffed to the gills with other travelers, and when we arrived at the facility, the line was literally 20-plus people deep. And, as is so often the case with rental car counters, there was one employee working and said-employee was moving at a pace of about 10 minutes per customer. So we waited. And waited. And waited. 

About two hours later --at a few ticks short of 1 AM-- a manager appeared to tell us that they had only pickup trucks remaining. Fortunately they were honkin' huge pickup trucks of the four-door variety so we said fine and took it and that was that. 

But the whole experience had me thinking about some of the obvious work God has done in my life. I used to be relatively quick to anger, especially when I felt like I was being treated unjustly. But somehow, I didn't get mad today. I laughed maniacally at one point over the sheer absurdity of how the rental car industry tends to treat people like cattle, but I didn't get mad. In fact, this is the picture I sent Abby as we neared the front of the line.

And me not getting mad in that kind of potentially incendiary situation -- that's miraculous. That's God. And given that not getting mad saved me from the unpleasant experience of recovering from having gotten mad, I am grateful.

And now I'm closing up shop and going to bed, because I have no idea if any of that made any sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment