Sunday, November 5, 2023

November 5

With Family Weekend in the books, the guys and I got up this morning, picked up a caramel brulee latte (my girl's seasonal favorite) from a Mother Ship, and headed over to campus to say our Seeya Laters. It's never easy to leave Abby there because she's so important to me, but I know it's where she belongs for now and I rest in that truth.

From there were headed to Midway, returned the rental truck, and boarded flight number one, which took us to Seattle. I've struggled with my allergies over the past few days so I was a little concerned over how I'd fare, but I wound up being more or less okay. And a bonus of us having terrible boarding positions that left us sitting in different rows was that I got to listen to Isaac talking with his seatmate, who was returning home to Washington but actually lived in Pleasanton several decades ago. I was struck by how naturally the conversation between them flowed and I was so proud of Isaac for listening and asking her questions and engaging like he did.

The second leg of the journey wasn't quite as awesome; the persistent stabbing pains in both eardrums began the second we started our descent into Oakland. And even now, more than two hours later, my ears still haven't popped and I can't hear much of anything. 

But we're home safely. And we had a great time with Abby. So all things considered, I am thankful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment