Thursday, November 23, 2023

November 23

Thanksgiving is such a beautiful holiday. Sure, it's a day for eating a lot of good food and for getting together with family and friends. But beyond that, it's a day that's specifically designated for recognizing blessings and expressing gratitude. And I love that because sometimes it's hard to remember to be thankful.

Anyhow, I guess you could divide my Thanksgiving this year into two distinct parts: the morning and the meal.

In the morning part of the program, the kiddos and I donned our race bibs and took part in the 9th Annual Tri-Valley Turkey Trot at the Sports Park. (I conceded to Brady's persistent "can we do it?" pleas.) Isaac and Brady ran together and finished first in our little group. Abby jogged much of the way and crossed the finish line a few minutes after her brothers. And I brought up the rear. For my actual runner-friends, my time isn't all that shiny, but a combined effort of jogging and walking led me to finish in 41:54. And I'm okay with that. Adam didn't join us --he was at home baking bread-- but he did serve as our chauffer, and I'm thankful for that contribution. I'm also thankful that I was able to finish the race and that I didn't get sick, as I'm not exactly in the greatest shape of my life.

Then there was the meal part, which took place at Adam's Aunt Peg and Uncle Russ' house from 12:30 to 5. We ate great food and enjoyed catching up with some of the extended family, including Adam's 96-year old grandmother.

And now we're home, sitting in the family room watching the Niners' game. (I guess I should call it the day's third phase, huh?) I'm feeling (over)full in belly and in heart, and I'm grateful for the busyness of the day. And I'm thankful for my amazing family and for how they make me laugh and how they challenge me and even how they frustrate me -- because it's in the midst of those challenges and frustrations that I eventually grow the most. Although I miss my sweet Logan and wish that he could be here with us physically, I'm so thankful that he was here and that he left his distinct, indelible mark on my life. And I'm thankful for Jesus and for His sacrifice, which means we'll see him again whenever Someday arrives.

Happy Thanksgiving, friends. I'm thankful for you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment