Wednesday, February 14, 2024

February 14

Valentine's Day has changed for me a lot over the years. When I was a kid, there were classroom parties with cookie decorating and cute little Valentine cards. When I was a teenager, there were unspoken but fervent hopes of receiving candy grams at school. When my kiddos were young, there were carefully curated matching outfits and photos so I could capture the early moments in all of its faux-pristine glory.

And now, well, now it's more a freeform holiday. I mailed Abby her Valentine package last week. The boys have aged out of the school parties (although per Brady, the candy grams are still a thing) and I gave them their treats --cotton candy and a box of chocolates for both, a mini teddy bear for Brady and a box of cookies for Isaac, who prefers consumables these days-- before they headed off to class. And I presented Adam with his treats over the course of the day, ending with an orange Jamba Juice around lunchtime.

And for me? For me there were white roses and four boxes of candy from my hunny. 

It may be a Hallmark holiday that a lot of people don't like so much, but I still think Valentine's Day is a good thing. Any day that facilitates the open expression of love and affection is a good thing and a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment