Friday, April 5, 2024

April 5

Isaac and I were up and at 'em early this chilly Friday morning because baseball called: the JV Dons had the first of three tournament games in Concord. We loaded into the car on time (which I never take for granted), shot through the Mickey D's drive-thru (which was Isaac's reward for being on time) with greased-pig speed, and, with hash browns in-hand, headed north.

It was overcast (and did I mention chilly? Because it was chilly. There was snow on Mt. Diablo in the distance) and everything was wet from rain that fell overnight, but the boys seemed to be in good spirits.

It wasn't their best game, but Isaac notched the Dons' first hit of the game --a blooper that dropped into no man's land in shallow right-- and I could tell he was having fun being out on the diamond. He was smiling and jabbering with his teammates and had that peppy spring in his step that generally accompanies a good mood.

The game wound up ending in a 4-4 tie (which was totally weird since in tournaments, someone has to win and someone has to lose each game, but the umpires weren't budging from their position of not starting any new innings after 1:45 had passed so... there you go. We found out later that Isaac's team won the time-breaker, so there's that).

Anyhow, my scatterbrained-ness aside, it was a pleasant morning. (Chilly, but pleasant.) I had a nice time chatting with my friend Amber and got to watch one of my wonderful boys as he played a sport he loves. So for all of that, I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment