Saturday, December 21, 2013

December 21

I heard Luke Bryan's "Drink a Beer" several times as I wound and morphed my way through today. For non-country music fans, it probably sounds like a pretty silly, nonsensical tune. But it's nothing of the sort: it's the song Bryan wrote in memory of his brother and sister who both passed away much earlier than our simple human wisdom and comprehension would've liked.

The words of that song were especially poignant today, as an integral member of a social circle that touches my own made her way Heavenward much sooner than her family and friends had hoped.

I don't feel fully qualified to write much about sweet Priscilla, an absolutely gorgeous mom of two who I never had the honor of meeting face to face. But hopefully I'll be able to do her an iota of justice anyway, because I feel that this song is leading me to honor her memory in what minimal way I can.

I 'met' her online after Logan was diagnosed with his beast; she was a friend of a friend who added me on Facebook so she could follow his journey. It was devastating --even to me, who knew her primarily from a collection of beautiful pictures and a few private messages-- when she too was diagnosed with cancer and began her own valiant battle.

What was striking to me all throughout her battle was her selflessness. Even as she looked down the barrel of a devastating diagnosis, she continued to ask how I was coping. It meant everything when she told me that Logan was an inspiration to her and that she thought of him when fear set in. Her honesty and vulnerability with me, a virtual stranger, connected our hearts in a very real way.

She told me over the summer that things weren't going well and although her doctors wouldn't give her a timeframe, she knew she didn't have much time left. I wanted to ask her to give Logan a hug and tell him how much we love and miss him when she got to the other side -- kind of like you ask Joe to tell Pam hi when you know Joe is going on vacation and will see Pam. But I never did. I just couldn't. It felt insensitive. And weird. And even a little creepy. But I thought it. And part of me thinks she heard me thinking it, and that she did find him and give him a hug when she got there this morning. And even if she didn't go looking for him, I know he found her anyway, because he was always drawn to wonderful spirits. And because he was one of her inspirations. And because both of them served as unwitting inspirations to me.

So here's to you, Priscilla. Thank you for being you and for making a positive mark on my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment