Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Epilogue

As I sit here mulling my last entry for 2013, I'm near tears. It's strange to realize how much this little project of mine --this simple little task I began back on January 1-- has meant to me. When I began actively looking for God, so to speak, I wasn't entirely sure what I'd find. I knew from my churched upbringing that He's supposed to be everywhere, but life hadn't exactly taught me to believe in that idea as an absolute truth. And I certainly wasn't sure that I'd be able to keep it going for an entire year without missing a single day. It felt much bigger than me; like so much more than I could accomplish.

Some days, it was hard to find Him at all. On others, He was so apparent and so everywhere that the experience nearly knocked my socks off and took my breath away at once. Of course, I pined for days like the latter. Although they came now and again --in yellow cars and pink balloons-- my days were more often marked by subtle reminders of His presence, like a smile or a kind gesture or a raindrop. But the key is that He always gave me something. It wasn't always what I wanted, but I got what I needed to keep this blog going.

It's cliche even to me, but I think I did learn to appreciate those little things a bit more during 2013. I learned to look for sunbeams hiding in the clouds and to recognize the humor inherent in watching kids soak themselves in a summer rainstorm. I looked more closely at intricately detailed flower petals and marveled over one seriously amazing tomato plant that craved life with a brand of tenacity I'd never before seen. I confirmed an opinion I once expressed in Logan's blog: despite the usual assertion to the contrary, God is indeed the One in the details. And although my humanity longs for obvious I'm here! proclamations, I think I've gotten better at recognizing the quiet whispers.

Now that I've finished my 365 day quest, I find myself standing at the proverbial crossroad, wondering how --or even if-- I should proceed. And I think I've decided that I'll keep it going into 2014. After all, the Bible says that if we seek, we will find. I'm looking forward to the adventure's continuation. I'm looking forward to seeing more beautiful, amazing, mundane and everyday things that will point back to God.

And I hope you'll decide to stick with me once again. Blessings to you and yours for a peaceful, joyful, wonderful new year, filled with God winks and improbable experiences of your own.

See ya in 2014.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should keep it going. It's inspired me, and some days I received a message I didn't even know I needed to hear.

    ReplyDelete