Wednesday, December 4, 2013

December 4

Today marked my older brother's 40th birthday. I think he'd probably smack me upside the head if I used a photo from our childhood, so I plucked one from my wedding day back in 2002 instead:

He's a little more than four years my senior, so we didn't "grow up together" in the same way that my younger brother and I did; we didn't play school on grandma's front porch or perform a very special rendition of the "Sisters" number from "White Christmas." But I still remember a few select good times from way back when: sledding in the snow down the massive hill in our back yard (that, in hindsight, is probably more of a mole hill than a mountain), fishing, playing treasure hunters at our old house, reading the page in my baby book where he told his preschool teacher that he liked to help mom take care of his baby (who would be, in case it's not clear, me).

Of course, as a self-respecting older brother, he also did his share of sister-tormenting, but I'm pleased to say that he's grown up into a responsible husband and dad who no longer tries to hold me down and crack my toes for kicks. ;)

So, happy birthday, Bobby! My first sibling, and my first friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment