Thursday, September 16, 2021

September 16

As dinner drew to a close tonight, Adam told the boys to hurry up and finish their burgers because Abby was going to drive us to Coldstone to celebrate getting her license.

So that's what we did: we piled into Adam's car and with Abby at the wheel, we headed down the hill to get some ice cream.

And here they are: my people. (Well, four of them, anyway.) My people with their wacky ice cream picks; their mint with gummy bears, cake batter with sprinkles, and sorbet with Sour Patch Kids. (And me? Peanut butter cake batter and peanut butter cups. I'm peanut butter vanilla.)

Anyhow, I am grateful for the treat and for the achievement that led to the treat and for the amusing moments that punctuated our time at that little table, like when Adam asked Isaac if he liked any girls at school and said 13-year old laughed, pulled up his mask, and turned bright red in response. And even though it was chilly out and the wind crept up the back of my sweater more than once, my heart was warm because I was with my people.

No comments:

Post a Comment