Tuesday, September 28, 2021

September 28

My girl drove herself to school this morning for the first time ever. 

But I nearly missed her departure. As I opened my bedroom door, I caught a glimpse of her backpack as it bobbed down the front stairs to the driveway. With phone in hand and brain in partial working order, I frantically skittered around the corner and down the stairs just as she reached the driver's side door.

My pillow-haired, pajama'd, barefoot self must've cut quite the impressive figure to anyone who happened to glance outside at that moment, but I didn't care because something big was happening. I stood there grinning at her as she got inside and then after she closed the door. And then I made her open the window so I could take a photo to commemorate the event. 

So here she is, wearing her best exasperated "mom, why are you doing this to me?" smile just moments before she drove off to school on her own. 

It was a bittersweet experience to watch the car disappear around the corner with her behind the wheel. I'm so, so proud of who she is -- of her kindness, her thoughtfulness, and her faith. And I'm so proud of her for trying to embrace new experiences, given that I know she'd prefer that everything remain mostly the same. And beyond all of that, I'm thankful for the opportunity to continue to watch her grow and blossom into a wonderful young woman. It's bittersweet to loosen my grip on her, of course, but it is such a blessing to be her mom and to have the gift of seeing her become who God intended her to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment