Tuesday, November 2, 2021

November 2

I was on the verge of tears as I drove toward the Mother Ship this morning. I'm not entirely sure why, but I could feel a wave of negativity cresting on the horizon. So I asked God to help -- to help me have a good morning in spite of my mood.

And He did just that. I ordered my coffee and water, plunked down in my usual chair, and pulled out the sleeve of a sweater I'm making for Abby. And I started stitching. 

In short order, a well-dressed older woman sat down across from me. I felt compelled to talk to her, but I hesitated. And then, a moment later, as we made inadvertent eye contact, I told her that she looked nice. She thanked me, and then asked what I was making. And then bam, off to the races. Lee --because that's her name, Lee-- shared all about her life, and I listened and shared a little about mine.

About 15 minutes into our conversation, a different woman apologized for interrupting and asked what I was making. She said it was beautiful and my new friend Lee cut in to tell her that I also made the sweater I was wearing (which was true). Other Woman was extremely complimentary and asked if I sell (I don't) or if I'd be willing to sell, and I hedged before I thanked her and said that I don't. (At least not yet.) 

Then another Mother Ship friend, Neil, plopped down into the chair next to me and joined Lee and I in conversation for half an hour. 

Those interactions just filled my spirit. I love learning about other people and connecting over common experiences -- like when I told Lee that I'd lost a son, her eyes turned downward for a moment before she revealed that she, too lost a son just two years ago. And oddly enough, it was something of a blessing to me to be able to look another woman in the eye --a woman whose age alone has probably afforded her much more wisdom than I have in my 43-plus years-- and tell her that yes, it stings. Yes, you think of him every day. And yes, the feelings change over time, but you never get over it.

And then I went to Target and found several brand new Cars with faces. 

So yes. It was, despite its melancholic beginnings, a very good morning because God answers prayer -- and sometimes He answers them in very obvious ways. And I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment