Thursday, December 14, 2023

December 14

My caboose is officially a teenager.

Yep. My last baby, my Brady, is 13.

Since it was a school day there wasn't a lot of time for celebrating, but we squeezed in the usual Wight Birthday Traditions nonetheless. I baked and decorated his chocolate-on-chocolate cake this afternoon and when he got home, Isaac joined him out front to toss around the football in the street.

When Adam returned from work we went to dinner at CPK, where the birthday boy enjoyed a pepperoni pizza and strawberry lemonade. Then after we finished up there, we video called Abby so she could watch the opening of the presents and join in on the birthday song and cake festivities. And just before he headed up to bed, we measured him, so I can say with certainty that he's currently 5-foot-5 1/2. Several inches shorter than Isaac was at the same age (much to his chagrin) but still growing. And I, of course, am deeply thankful for that.

All in all, I think he had a good day. I did, too, although I'm still not sure how I feel about graduating from the 0-12 club. It's hard to believe that my baby is already a teenager because I can so clearly remember Logan excitedly chirping about how the baby was coming as I packed up to head to the hospital 13 years ago this morning. If that small detail is still so clear and salient and real in my mind, how could 13 years have already gone by? It's crazy. 

But it's good. Brady is funny and smart and witty beyond his years and fierce and competitive and determined and perfectionistic. He's also sweet and sensitive and I'm routinely surprised by the subtle, natural way he's able to share his faith with his pals. I'm grateful for all of those things and for the humor and twerking (yep) and goofiness that he brings to my life every day. He's the perfect youngest child for us now, just as he was way back then when we --when I-- desperately needed him to be a light in what felt like the blackest darkness possible. He was and is an amazing blessing.

Happy birthday, Brady! I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment