Saturday, December 9, 2023

December 9

The washing machine and I had quite the adventure today.

See, a few months ago, I became aware that front loader washing machines --like ours-- have filters that need to be cleaned on a fairly regular basis. After learning this and subsequently noting that our laundry never smelled especially fresh following routine cleanings, I googled and found a video of a guy cleaning out the filter on our exact model, which was a complete blessing. I have no idea who he is, but huge kudos to Dude Who Posted Filter Cleaning Video.

Anyway, after puttering around for a while and drinking my coffee, I decided today would be THE day: I'd peel off the sticker on the filter compartment (because apparently the previous owner also didn't realize it needed to be cleaned) and get the job done. I gathered up a mask (because I had no idea what I'd find in there and I'm deathly allergic to mold), a bowl (to catch any water as it escaped), and a handful of paper towels. I popped open the compartment, loosened the filter, and gently tugged at it... and as it dislodged, the most disgusting, horrible smelling "water" (if you can even call it that) poured out into the bowl and onto the floor, nearly missing me. Already fully horrified, I surveyed the filter, and found that it was coated with equally disgusting mushy mucky-muck (and hair and tiny branches. I have no idea where the wee branches came from but there they were). I gagged a few times behind my mask at both the smell and the sight, and then got over myself and got to work mopping up the "water" with a bath sheet. After deciding that the filter itself was too gross to touch, I took it into the backyard (along with the bowl) and blasted both with the hose. Then I dried off the filter and headed back to the laundry room. Quite pleased with myself, I popped it back into its slot, closed the compartment door, and started the previously-loaded machine. 

A few minutes later I thought "hey, I should go take a pic of the washing machine so I can use it's-a-blessing-that-God-somehow-prompted-this-random-dude-to-make-a-great-video-of-cleaning-out-his-washing-machine-filter-so I-could-clean-out-ours-too entry in my blog today" so headed back to the laundry room....

Where to my horror, I found water pouring from the bottom of the machine. Cascading down the sides in elegant rivulets that pooled out onto the floor. I squeaked "oh no oh no oh no. Help!" a few times as I frantically grabbed more towels from the hall closet and threw them at the water (because clearly that was going to make it stop). Isaac appeared in the doorway and asked what happened, so I told him to get towels and sop up the water. While he did that, I popped the filter compartment open and discovered my error: I hadn't pushed it in far enough. So as fast as I could, I turned and pushed until suddenly, the water stopped flowing. And all was better as Isaac and I sopped and sopped until we had a pile of very wet towels in the corner. I wasn't exactly thrilled with my gaffe, but mused to Isaac that at least the soapy water meant that we'd successfully cleaned the floor, which hadn't been done in some time. So I was grateful for both his help and for the unexpectedly freshly cleaned tile.

I turned the machine back on again, confirmed that it was no longer leaking, and started to head back downstairs, but then I noticed that the plastic pan in which the washer and dryer sit were filled with water. I groaned at the thought of how many MORE towels it would take to mop up THAT mess, so I pulled out my phone and texted my neighborhood group to ask if anyone had a wet vac or sump pump I could borrow. My amazing neighbors across the street offered theirs up almost immediately, and even though it was the oldest shop vac I'd ever laid eyes on and it had no attachments and turned on the second it was plugged in, it worked like a charm. And I am so thankful that they let me use it.

So yes: it was quite the adventure. And the day definitely would've been much calmer had none of it happened. But the weird thing is, I'm kind of glad it did, because I got to experience so many blessings along the way: there was the blessing of the instructional video which led to the blessing of fresher laundry, the blessing of Isaac helping me clean up, the blessing of my well-timed trip to the laundry room that led me to discover my mistake in time to save the hall carpet, the blessing of the clean floor, and the blessing of Mary and Brian so graciously lending me their wet vac.

So many blessings out of an otherwise frustrating situation. It made me remember to look for the good that will indubitably arise from the not-so-good.

No comments:

Post a Comment