Saturday, December 23, 2023

December 23

Following a multi-year COVID-induced hiatus, today marked the grand return of the Bay Area Wight Elephant Christmas party.

Don and birthday girl Ann graciously opened their home to host the event, and we all gathered mid-morning for brunch. The food was all so good (seriously so good) and the prosecco and orange juice flowed freely into my glass so I was happy. (Kidding. Kind of.)

The gift exchange was as amusing as always. Highlights were plentiful, and included Brady "losing" his Christmas Story-inspired leg lamp to Uncle Russ and then immediately stealing a pair of bright, bell-bejangled (I think I just made up that word) elf slippers that captured the fancy of house dog Cooper. And military man Jacob tearing the wrapping paper from his very own fashionista Ken doll (which, through guffaws, he promised to prominently display back on base).

The final photo is a unique one: it captures the first child (Abby) of the first child (Adam) of the first child (Adam's dad Steve) of the first child (Adam's grandmother Joan).

After spending the morning and part of the afternoon with this group, I was persuaded for the umpteenth time that I am blessed to be one of them. Family isn't perfect but even with its shortcomings and frustrations it's a blessing, and I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment