Saturday, February 16, 2013

February 16

It's not often that I look at something and bust out laughing. But I did today.

I've probably walked and driven by this tree about five thousand times over the past six years. It's located less than half a mile from our house and we usually pass it during our walks. (And sorry it's sideways -- I can't get it to turn!) But today, for the very first time, I noticed that it has a distinctive face. Admittedly, it's something of a creepy expression, but still: it's a face on a tree. A completely strange, random twist of nature.

It reminded me of two important truths. First, God can be funny. I think that's awesome. And second, things can't always be taken at face-value. I spent the past six years not thinking at all about that tree. After all, trees are just... well, trees. But when I finally looked at it today, I saw a whole lot more than bark, branches and leaves.

And had I never looked, I'd never know about the great thing I'd been missing out on all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment