Saturday, February 9, 2013

February 9

I'm a grown-up with a husband, kids of my own, a house to maintain, bills to pay and life to be lived. But sometimes --and plenty of times of late-- I just want to go home. I want to go back to my childhood, when my biggest worry was whether or not I'd get an A on my next math test. That's why little winks like this one are so welcome.

After lunch this afternoon, we trooped outside to head home. I tailed Brady as he scampered a few parking spots over and came to a stop in front of this car, which just happened to bear a Maryland license tag. I do see plates from my home state every now and then, but not often: after all, it's quite a trek from MD to CA. And they always make me smile.

My roots may be tangled and complicated in ways, but they're mine. And I love to be reminded that they're there, both here with me, and back home in Maryland.

No comments:

Post a Comment