Monday, September 9, 2013

September 9

After he and I dropped Isaac and Abby off at school this morning, Brady found himself facing a quandary: to jump or not to jump.

He changed his mind an impressive four times before finally opting out of this particular morning puddlejump. (He did, however, wind up jumping in a different puddle a few minutes later. He is a self-respecting two-year old, after all.)

I think we all do what he did: evaluate our options, analyze the data, make a decision. That's a simplistic way to view it, I know, but it's also meaningful to me, because that kind of thinking reminds me that yes, life really is that simple, and that yes, our adult lives do, in many ways, mimic our early lives. The circumstances and situations change, of course, but the way we process things remains largely unchanged.

And when things feel big and bad and overwhelming, I'm grateful for that set of truths.

1 comment:

  1. Audrey and Annie are really into Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood on Netflix. They recently watched an episode about voting and choosing and he had a little jingle (as he always does). It went, "Stop, Think, and Choo-oo-oose." They've been singing that jingle for days.

    Seeing Brady stare at the photo and try to decide about it reminded me of this episode and that jingle. :)

    ReplyDelete