Monday, September 1, 2014

September 1

As I investigated our backyard this afternoon, I found this in the grass underneath the apple tree.

It's just an apple, but it's very special because it's the first apple we've ever gotten from our little tree. It was put in when we had the yard re-done two years ago, and it didn't fruit last year. I was thrilled when, several months ago, I saw tiny apple flowers blooming. I watched the blossoms turn into tiny fruit, and admired them as they grew larger and larger. Since they're still pretty small --I have petite hands and this apple fit very nicely into my palm-- I wasn't sure they were ready to be picked. But this one certainly was. I brought it inside and divided it so I could share it with Adam, Abby, Isaac, and Brady. It was sweet and flavorful, and I was happy to be able to share it with (most of) the people I love most.

I've always wanted fruit trees, so it's a blessing to be able to enjoy apples from my very own yard for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment