Wednesday, September 17, 2014

September 17

Every time I reflect on the fact that Abby will be in middle school next year, my jaw drops. (Literally. The teeth separate, the tongue hangs out a little. It's a sight.) To get ready for that momentous phase of her life, I've started letting her walk home from school with her friend, M. But I don't really let them walk alone: I drive ahead of them, and then pull over periodically and watch as they come up behind me and pass by. (Rinse, repeat, until we get home.)

It's a big deal, this growing up thing: it's a big deal for her to live it, and a big deal for me to watch her navigate it.

And for now, I'm comfortable with giving her a little bit of freedom and latitude... as long as I'm still along for the ride in one way or another, watching to make sure she's safe and happy. I know I won't be able to protect her indefinitely, so it's a blessing to have these moments now while it doesn't yet mortify her that her mom follows her home in the minivan.

No comments:

Post a Comment