Friday, January 16, 2015

January 16

I shall call this one 'A Tale of Two Moments.'

Although my goal with these posts is to zero in on one specific moment each day, I made an exception to my rule today. Though these two moments were very different, they actually create a cohesive whole that really spoke to me on a deep level, so I wanted to keep them together.

Moment one came as I left Target this morning. As I walked toward my car, I saw an amazingly bright yellow Corvette in the parking lot. The day was a dull, gray one, so this particular car stood out like a frozen bolt of lightning. The fact that it was a Vette was enough to immediately turn my thoughts to Logan, and the brilliant color only strengthened the association: brilliant, bold color from my brilliant little Sunshine.

Moment two came as I drove Abby to church for an overnight event. She wasn't thrilled about going, so she was pensive and low-key. A song she likes --RaeLynn's "God Made Girls"-- came on the radio, so I glanced in the rear view mirror to gauge her reaction and saw her quietly singing along. I was struck by her quiet, steady focus. I missed the moment because I was behind the wheel, but I snapped the pic as soon as I came to a red light.

Abby and Logan were always yin and yang. While Logan was vibrant and practically shouted hey! Look at ME! (like a bright yellow Vette), Abby has always been significantly more reserved. Somehow, seeing both of my oldest kids' dominant traits on display on the same day in such tangible ways really spoke to my heart. Our differences can certainly feel like curses and it would be nice if we could all just see situations and issues in precisely the same way, but human life doesn't work that way. Further, I think those very differences that we so often scorn can work together to become our biggest blessings, just like Abby and Logan working together and influencing one another was --and still is-- a big blessing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment