Thursday, January 8, 2015

January 8

I'm not unlike 99.9999% of moms: I wish my kids would heed my words far more often than they actually do. But today, Isaac gave me a nice little surprise.

When the city re-did the playground next to the school in 2013, they installed this giant, dome-shaped net-thing. The kids, for the most part, love it. The moms, for the most part, do not love it.

After school, Isaac was playing with a small group of kids while Brady and I visited the sandbox (which I call 'the giant cat box,' but that's not really relevant. Just thought I'd share). One of the other kids got it into his or her head that it would be an awesome idea for all of them to climb the rope-dome and jump up and down as aggressively as they could. The little red flag in my head went up because city workers have been out to repair the thing more times than I can count and I could just see it collapsing under their collective weight.

As the metal frame began to sway, I got Isaac's attention and told him that I didn't think it was a good idea. Then I asked him to please stop and find something else to do.

I expected him to wait for me to walk away and then start up again, but he surprised me and actually stopped. The other kids asked why he'd gotten down, and he had a simple response: My mom said it's probably not safe.

It's such a blessing --not to mention a relief-- when they listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment