Wednesday, April 27, 2016

April 27

Twice today, the skies opened up and drenched the earth with a short-lived downpour. The first time, I was tucked inside my local Starbucks, safely watching the rain fall as I sipped my nice, warm cuppa joe. The second time was during baseball practice.

It began with a few drops that were so light and far-between that I wasn't even sure they qualified as precipitation, but the clouds quickly dropped their pretense of harmlessness and a real, steady, soaking rain followed in short order. The boys grabbed their things and ran, shouting with glee, to the coach's truck.

After I ushered Abby and Brady into our car, I turned back and walked toward Isaac and his teammates. As I approached, I could hear the coach musing over whether they should wait it out or throw in the proverbial towel on the day's practice. Just then, the rain let up, and the clouds moved aside to once again allow the sun's rays to warm the earth. As the boys re-claimed their hats and gloves and headed back out to the field, I had a thought: how many times in this life have I had to choose between giving up and going home, and waiting out a storm? Plenty, I'm sure, because life requires patience and perseverance in the face of challenges. Given how I've felt lately, it was an important reminder, and I'm thankful to have received it.

No comments:

Post a Comment