Friday, June 16, 2017

June 16

I really can't overemphasize how much Logan loved the Cars franchise. The original film came out in 2006 --the year of his birth-- and it's like he emerged from the womb with its energy coursing through his veins. He lived and breathed Lightning McQueen, Mater, Sally, Ramone, and all of the colorful townies from Radiator Springs. (And even the obscure racers. If I close my eyes, I can still hear him reading "Todd The Shockster Maw-cus" from the big book of Cars characters.) A few years later, we all saw Cars 2 in the theater shortly after he was released from the hospital in June of 2011. At the time, we thought he'd beaten his disease so we watched that film with a deep sense of gratitude and thankfulness in our hearts. Although things did not go as we'd hoped and prayed and longed for them to go, and though he was unable to be with us to watch Cars 3, we went back to that same theater today to see it on his behalf.

It's a good movie and a fitting addition to the series, and watching it without the boy who loved it so very much brought on a mix of euphoria and heartbreak. I guess that may sound like an odd combination of emotion, but that's the way I'd describe much of my life, if I'm being honest. I can't really feel a high-high without a twinge of pain; the feeling that it would be just a little bit better if only Logan were here to share in the moment with me.

So yes. I miss him. I will miss him until we're together again. But I am beyond blessed that he was here to teach me about life, just like Lightning McQueen was blessed to have Doc. We can learn from anyone if we're open to hearing the truth, but those extra-special people who hit us right square in the heart with their very presence are incredible gifts from God. I was uncommonly, extraordinarily blessed to learn so much from someone who spent very little time on this side of Heaven.

1 comment: