Monday, October 2, 2017

October 2

Once again, I find myself in the frustrating position of having multiple photos I'd like to use. But alas, the lousy internet condition is still a factor so I was forced to (very reluctantly) choose just one. Since today was Grandma D's funeral and I saw a lot of family, I chose one that includes as many of those people as possible:

This photo began innocuously enough with just me and my Aunt Kathy. Then we summoned one of my brothers and a few of my cousins, and more aunts, and more cousins... until this entire group had assembled. I have a similar set of photos from my Grandpa W's memorial service several years ago, and I like looking back at them, just like I know I'll appreciate looking back at these in the years to come. Family is a very special thing.

Friends are also special, though, and I'd be completely remiss if I didn't mention something else I did this afternoon. As I drove around Clarksburg --where I spent the first six or seven years of my life-- I thought of my longtime friend Gretchen, who still --amazingly enough-- lives in her childhood home. A moment later, I realized that today was her birthday, so of course I had to drop in on her. I literally had five minutes to chat since I had dinner plans, but it was so great to see her again. And it was amazing to be able to give her a big hug on her special day.

I may only have a few days here before I head back to my little family, but this time in Maryland has been priceless, and I'm so thankful that I made that last-second decision to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment