Wednesday, March 27, 2013

March 27

Today was a busy one. Despite my own tiredness, I decided to let the kiddos play for a while after school this afternoon. At one point, Isaac told me he wanted to show me a special trick. And he did this:

The little guy hung there for quite a while, until the veins on his hands popped out a little and his face twisted in discomfort. But still, he didn't want to let go. So I did what any mom who doesn't want her kid to break or twist a limb does and put an arm around his waist so he could comfortably drop to the ground.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but in hindsight, at 11:20 PM after a long day, it's funny how much the memory of Isaac doggedly holding on to that bar until I helped him down reminds me of... well, me.

Only in a way, I think I'm still holding on to my bar. Because you know, adults are stubborn like that. Sometimes we don't even let go when we know there's a safety net there to catch us. It amazes me to realize both how much I can still learn from my kids, and how kid-like I am myself. There's comfort for me in both notions.

No comments:

Post a Comment