Tuesday, March 5, 2013

March 5

Sometimes, a wink is about a memory.

I noticed a splinter in my palm this evening. It's an itty bitty one and it doesn't hurt at all, so I have no idea how long I've had it. But when I saw it, I had a flashback from three or four years ago, back when Logan was still a healthy, sweet, vibrant little boy.

As we returned home from an outing one afternoon, he ran his hand along our fence, a misstep which left him with about 25 miniscule splinters embedded in his miniature palm. A trip to the pediatrician ensued, and as the doctor patiently removed splinter after splinter, my little Logan sat calmly on the exam table, licking a lollipop.

No complaints, no whining, no fear. Just a calm acceptance of the simple fact that his actions had unfortunate consequences. I miss that kid so much. But today, my splinter drew him a little closer to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment