Saturday, April 27, 2013

April 27

I'm not entirely sure, but I think this may, in an objective sense, be the ugliest photo I've used so far.

It's precisely what it looks like: a series of cracks in the pavement of a local street. So what on God's green earth prompted me to take its picture?

I had a really simple thought. Let's say your life is just like the perfectly smooth, unblemished street -- like the street in the photo looked when it was new. But one day, the ground shifts a little and you crack; a bad thing happens that shakes your faith or your perception of life and reality. And it changes you. Let's say that happens multiple times until you look kind of like the image above: still identifiable as you, but changed. (I know, I'm weird. Stay with me; I promise there's a point!)

Then let's say that like in the picture above, new life begins to grow inside those gaping cracks. You don't look perfect and smooth like you once did, but the holes, the blemishes, are filled in with something even prettier than asphalt -- they're filled with life! It's kind of like what happens when God comes into your life and fills in the holes made by people and circumstances that've hurt you in the past. That's pretty awesome, isn't it? I thought so.

And yes, I did indeed come up with that entire treatise just by looking at that ugly old image. See: you can indeed find God anywhere. If you look.

No comments:

Post a Comment