Monday, January 27, 2014

January 27

I'm generally very focused on my family and friends. But I'd be completely remiss if I failed to talk a little about the great professional opportunities I've enjoyed of late.

Most folks are already aware, but for anyone who isn't, I'm a freelance writer on the side. I usually write about reality TV competitions, but for the past few months, my focus has shifted to the upcoming Olympic Games in Sochi. There's something so romantic about seeing someone beat odds and succeed when the stakes are high.

I've been blessed with the opportunity to conduct one-on-one interviews with a small handful of athletes, and have taken part in live media phone conferences with several members of the U.S. figure skating team. Just today, I spoke with Polina Edmunds and listened in on a call with Maia and Alex Shibutani.

(Just to explain the photo... when I record my calls, I use my old iPhone because I've not yet chosen a recording program, so all of my chats are tucked behind that little triangle play button.)

It's been such a huge blessing to me to go back to my journalistic roots and to brush the cobwebs from my interviewing skills. It's been fun. It's opened a few doors. It's been good to feel like my writing doesn't stink, because I've often felt like it does in recent history.

And the experience is making my life just a bit richer, as I get to know some of these amazing people on a more personal level. I can't wait to watch them go after their dreams on the world's biggest sporting stage.

1 comment:

  1. This is really so exciting! The first big interview I had was with two of the original MTV VJs, and I remember being completely lost about how to go about recording it. They remain high points for me, even if no one else remembers the interviews or articles, because when I was a kid, these women were literal rock stars to me.

    ReplyDelete